Welcome

Just For Fun is my way of sharing all the little things I like to do... from crafty things to thoughtful things!

Thursday, September 25, 2014

Feeling a bit Sassenach!

You know... Sassenach!

I've been enjoying the new Starz series Outlander, based on Diana Gabaldon's book.

To be honest, I got bored with the book.  I loved the concept, time travel is one of my favorites.  Add magic stone circles, Scottish Highlands and political intrigue and you've got me!  Alas,  the story wandered a bit too much for me and I found the ending incredibly predictable.

That said... I always felt a little bad about not liking it as much as everyone else did.  So, I was glad to hear about the TV series, thinking they might cut some of the things that bored me.  So far I have not been disappointed and I love the series.

As you can imagine, the costumes provide lots of inspiration for crafters!  I've been inspired by some of the fingerless gloves and "wristers" (wrist warmers aka a tube that can be pulled down over the hands) as shown here.

So I created my own crochet cables... 

First is a wrister in silk/cotton blend Rowan Summer Tweed - Toast, a tube worn over the wrist that can be pulled down over the hands.  But, I did leave thumb slits in mine as an option.  It is worked flat and seamed.

The second is a fingerless glove, with a formal thumb gusset.  It's also a silk/cotton blend,  Knit One Crochet Too's Cozette - Moss.  It's worked in the round.


Add a tunisian crochet tam, a cabled scarf... and I am ready to join Clan Mackenzie!  Just don't tell my Edinburgh ancestor John Knox.  ;o)

Here are a few more photos of these projects...
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment