Welcome

Just For Fun is my way of sharing all the little things I like to do... from crafty things to thoughtful things!

Monday, January 24, 2011

"She's quite clever, you know... for a human being." - C3PO

Wow, what a busy weekend!  And by that of course I mean a weekend where there was nothing to do but watch football (first one in a long time, so actually quite welcome).  When that happens, my hands have a mind of their own, and the yarn begins to call my name.

I had a couple of nebulous ideas running around my head: Pirates, the new term at Hogwarts at Ravelry, and there IS that cute R2 hat idea I saw while surfing patterns last week.  Oh where to start?  No doubt, pirates!

You might remember I made a pirate hat for Steve, oops, I mean Captain Steve,  last Halloween.  Since I can get two hats out of one yarn purchase, I gave the other one to Captain Andy.

But... then I borrowed Steve's hat to wear to a hockey game when we had subzero temperatures, and it was so nice and warm.  I began thinking I needed one of my own.

I did, and here it is!  I used wool yarn, and felted it into fabric.  All that it needs now is a coin or two on the side.  I declared it 'wear your pirate hat to the game day' and Section 215 was full of scalawags.  Thanks to Captain Andy and Lisa for joining in!  A couple of our arena friends are now certain we are the silliest people they know.  I may have to wear it again tonight just to reinforce that!

I think my next pirate hat might be admiral style... with a feathery edge along the top.

That done, I decided to get my class materials together for Hogwarts (yes, they are all made of yarn, even the wand). 

Here I am casting shrinking charms onto my cauldron and quidditch broom in order to easily fit them into my trunk... and wouldn't you know it, my owl Minerva (named after the Roman goddess of wisdom, aaaand my favorite Professor!) flinched and dodged the charm.  It took me all afternoon to get her down from the rafters in the kitchen!

At least I can rest assured that I am ready for Hogwarts.  This term, I am taking Divination, Ancient Runes, and Muggle Studies.  Sounds right up my alley doesn't it?!  I hope I get sorted into the proper house.  While Gryffindors seem to have all the fun, I'm pretty sure I'll be a Ravenclaw with Loony Lovegood. 

Just when you're thinking "how could she possibly do any more?", I did.  I took on the Star Wars challenge and made these great droid beanies.








They are the most hysterical thing I've seen in a long time (ok, maybe just since pie-rets), and you'll see Steve and I sporting them soon.  I'll be sure to get a photo of us wearing them, because this does not do them justice.

I "forced" Steve to watch A New Hope so that I could get a fresh feel for how these characters look.  He was nice enough to pause the movie long enough for me to snap a few photos with my phone for reference.  I missed R2s lens in the back, but you won't tell anyone will you?

Hope you all enjoy your week.  Now that I am all packed, I need to run for the Hogwarts Express... classes begin today!

No comments:

Post a Comment