Welcome

Just For Fun is my way of sharing all the little things I like to do... from crafty things to thoughtful things!

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry - yarn style!

I've had a few people ask me what I'm talking about when I mention Hogwarts on Ravelry so here we go!

First of all, Ravelry is a community of yarn crafters.  Not just crocheters like myself but knitters, spinners, dyers and weavers.  it's a place where we can share our projects, ask questions and generally feel comfortable in everything yarn related.

When you have people who love to play with yarn AND love the Harry Potter books, its amazing.  Not only do we tend to flock together around Ravelry, but we tend to talk about the same things and get excited about the same projects.  It's a match made in heaven.  You might remember when I had to make my school supplies.

I currently participate in three groups on Ravelry: Diagon Alley, Hogwarts on Ravelry and HPKCHC (otherwise known as Harry Potter Knitting & Crocheting House Cup).  Each one has a distinct personality although they all revolve around the same interest in HP and yarn.

Some sort participants into 'houses', some don't.  Some are laid back and chatty, some are more competitive.  All in all though, it's just a way to have fun enjoying what we love to do.

Here's how it works.  Each community sets its own ground rules for earning points, just like they do at the real Hogwarts (oh come on, you don't think JKR could just make up a place like that out of thin air?).  There are 'classes' where your 'homework' (yarn project!) has to meet certain criteria in order to earn points.  The more creative you get with your story on how that project fits the assignment, the more points you earn.

I've only had one term participating so far, but here are the assignments I turned in:

Charms:  The assignment was to 1. research a charm, describe how it works, and make something that iullustrates the charm, 2. create our own charm and make something that illustrates it, 3. create an amulet to carry around our school supplies, 4. make a charm to wear.  Here's what I turned in:
1: I studied the engorgement (engorgio) and reducing (reducio) charm in hopes I could have my cake and eat it too. The problem is that I never really get around to reducio!

2: Since I live in a small town, it’s hard to go anywhere without being recognized. Rather than using a stinging jinx, I thought I should create a disguising charm - whiskerio! In a flash, I have a beard and beanie… and can get my errands run quickly and anonymously.
3. I’ve been diligently practicing my charms, so I thought I could use a small amulet with an undetectable extension charm and still hold all my stuff! I loved it so much I had to have several colors.
4.  I am constantly bother by nargles… probably because I sit by Luna in Potions class. I made a repelling charm butterbeer cork necklace, using macrame knotting to attach my chain to the charm.

As you can see... if you've been watching, these are all projects I made for other reasons, but I made up a reason why they fit the assignment... so sneaky!
Next was transfiguration.  As much as I like Professor McGonagall, I had some trouble with this one.  The assignment was 1. practice transfiguring something and show how it all went horribly wrong. 
I tried to transfigure goats and ended up with these hats, some with horns, some with beards. Good thing my muggle sister in law says she can use them in her kindergarten class when they do a play of the Three Billy Goats Gruff!
And last but not least was Flying class.  The assignment was 1. create quidditch supplies, 2. Create a muggle form of flying transport, 3. Create a non standard muggle form of flying transport (along the line of the altered Ford Anglia in the book).  my homework:
1: I had to make an extra cape for my quidditch robes… just to give me extra balance and control in the air. I need more flying practice!
2. Muggles have been known to fly in ‘rocket ships’ to get to the moon and outer space. Seems to me it’s like being catapulted through the air in a tin can!
3. This muggle hat is meant to proclaim an affinity for Star Wars characters… but with a pinwheel charm, small fans pop out of each of the horns, creating enough lift for the wearer to fly around!
Now take a moment to quit giggling.  :oP  Yes, it's silly.  Yes, it's realllllly silly.  Yes, it's hard to believe grown people actually spend time doing this, silly.  But it's so much fun! 

So, while you are off doing something boring... I need to get my class schedule organized for this term.  Do I take Potions or another term of Charms?  History of the Paranormal?  Goes without saying.  Astronomy?  I can ace that one with one star tied behind my back.  Care of Magical Creatures might make me sneeze, but I love Hagrid so maybe... Ancient Runes, DADA (Defense Against the Dark Arts, geez!), and Muggle Studies are a must.  Where IS that time turner?  Oh!  And last but not least... I simply have to make room for Arithmancy, where I just might be able to work in my affinity for numbers, equations, and another of my favorite characters!

Update:  Here are my awards for this term...




No comments:

Post a Comment