Welcome

Just For Fun is my way of sharing all the little things I like to do... from crafty things to thoughtful things!

Friday, September 9, 2011

Oh Sweet Hufflepuff!

My term at Hogwarts has begun and I'm having a little identity crisis!  At Hogwarts on Ravelry (Hogwarts) I have been in Gryffindor for some time.  Unfortunately for me, the Lions aren't all that chatty so I wander the castle a bit.  I particularly enjoy teasing the Head Mistriss about the trouble I can find using my invisibility cloak and the marauders map.

At the Harry Potter Knitting/Crochet House Cup (House Cup) the Sorting Hat sorted me into Hufflepuff.  The Sorting Hat is wise, because at least for this particular group, Hufflepuff is really my home.  (I can see Greta smiling!!!)  In fact, when asked to turn in a project that represented my new house, I submitted this Gingerbread Scarf and explanation:


I realized am truly Hufflepuff. Oh, I could hold my own in other houses… I have a high IQ and read science books for fun, I am not afraid to stand up for what I believe in and take chances, and I have to admit a certain competitive desire to crochet ALL THE THINGS and win. But, in reality, the ability to fit in everywhere is ultimately a Hufflepuff gift… as well as the ability to work hard, play fair, and accept things as they are. 

This gingy scarf represents House Cup- House of Hufflepuff in several ways. There is of course the obvious baked goods connection. :oP Hufflepuff is warm, sweet and a little spicy (Come on, hottie gingerbread men! You know you want one!). The differences in our gumdrop buttons or crafting styles don’t matter because we are tied together. Hufflepuff makes everyone feel special, like Christmas. We are the holiday comfort food of the house cup, the dish that warms, comforts and nourishes your heart as well as your body. Huzzah!

I've received very nice responses from Puffs and other students alike.  Thanks all!  Of course, my Pottermore beta access should come through any moment, and then we'll know what the 'official' Sorting Hat says.

I can't share photos yet of some of my projects since they are gifts... but I surprised myself having fun making a wand and wand holder.  It's hard to see the belt loop but it's designed to be worn that way.  The wand is Sequoia/Redwood, and the secret mark on the holder will let me in to magical places.

I also enjoyed making a Piranha Plant for Herbology... Steve took it to work and I understand it has already been adopted away from his desk. That was fast!

Next week, I'll be making Hufflepuff-y sorts of things so I can switch from red/gold to yellow/black in the blink of an eye.  Good thing I have that time-turner or watching Gryffindor versus Hufflepuff quidditch matches could be tricky...

1 comment: