Welcome

Just For Fun is my way of sharing all the little things I like to do... from crafty things to thoughtful things!

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Oolong and allergies, a complication

A couple of weeks ago I began an experiment in drinking Oolong tea to help with the skin issues that often accompany allergies.  My friends have had success with it, I read the article and I thought it was worth trying. 

Unfortunately, I've had to stop the experiment because... you guessed it... allergic reactions.  I had a reaction to one of the teas toward the beginning, but when I checked the ingredients it had malt.  I'm not necessarily allergic to malt in and of itself but as it is fermented, I though it the likely culprit.

Last week I had another minor reaction to another fruity tea.  Again no ingredients that are known problems.  I decided to take a couple days break from tea and it may be a good thing I did because over the weekend that minor reaction turned into a full blown issue.

I still have hives, even after upping my prednisone.  *sigh*  To the doc tomorrow, but for now, the tea experiment is at a standstill.

One big thumbs up though for the asthma regime my doc has me on... even with the inflammation and all that came with this incident - the asthma never kicked in to add insult to injury.  Gotta love that.

5 comments:

  1. Oh no! Even the plain teas like Jasmine or Monkey Picked? I'm sorry this happened to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crazy, huh? While I did not notice a specific reaction to the plain teas... the tea is the only 'new' thing I am exposed to so I need to keep it on hold until this episode settles.

    I will most likely try the plain ones again after things settle down and that will help me decide if it is the tea in general, or just the blends.

    The doc was right... I'm just allergic to everything!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow... that sucks :o( I hope you feel better soon!

    I wonder what the allergies are all about, on a higher level? Sorry, I am at one of those points in my life where I want to "investigate" everything lol

    Thinking of you xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's all part of the deal with allergies... but I appreciate the sympathy!!!

    ReplyDelete