Welcome

Just For Fun is my way of sharing all the little things I like to do... from crafty things to thoughtful things!

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Silly hats

I am a fan of instant gratification when it comes to crochet projects.  I love the feeling of getting something done easily when the rest of my life can be so complicated.  I also like the feeling of not having to commit to a huge project and having it loom over my head like a chore.

I've had several rounds of silly hat making since making Pie-rets including using leftovers for donating, droids, pirates, house elves, beards, a viking hat I neglected to photograph, and even run of the mill beanies because my ears were cold.

So, when I came across this Minion from Despicable Me I just had to make one.  When I am feeling really silly, I may wear it to a Sundogs game for when they play the dance montage that includes us and our "We love our Sundogs" sign.  The montage starts with Minions so I would fit right in.


I also had fun making these Yoda and Darth Maul beanies for Cathie and Harley.

The yoda beanie is quite simple, but the details are important.  Yoda's ears are not symetrical so I tried to capture that in the hat as well.  the only problem is that when worn, the ears tend to fall flat.  I am hopeful that will be remedied with a little florist wire.

The Darth Maul beanie was more of a challenge because of the color changes.  Crochet stitches are square or rectangular so I couldn't get the smooth lines, but I think it's recognizable anyway.

The little horns were also a bit of a challenge, and I could not get the angle I wanted because yarn is basically soft... but again, I think it's recognizable and come on... who else do you know with any sort of Darth Maul beanie at all?!  Definitely one of a kind.

Keep the silly hat ideas coming!  I love to see how I can make them work (or not).



Update: here's that darn minion waving my sign at the Sundogs game!  Sadly, they did not play the montage on the big screen for us, but you can't blame me for trying.

3 comments:

  1. Darth Maul turned out so cool Mom! Those people wearing them better count themselves as lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They were pleased... you can only get so close with yarn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love my Darth Maul beanie...Thanks so much Jen!

    ReplyDelete